Care | Prevent | Educate | Engage

Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA
  • “Hepatitis” literally means “inflammation of the liver”
  • HCV Is a blood-borne virus, transmitted blood-to-blood, that damages the liver
  • The liver is a vital organ with over 500 functions – we cannot live without a liver.  It is a “non-complaining” organ –  it has no nerve endings to feel pain due to damage or injury
  • The most common way that HCV is transmitted is through sharing injection drug equipment like syringes; it can also be transmitted through contaminated instruments used in tattooing or piercing, or through sharing personal care items like razors, tweezers, clippers and toothbrushes.
  • HCV can be sexually transmitted but the risk is considered to be low
  • HCV is a hearty virus and can live up to 4 days on a surface like a table, and can live up to 63 days inside a syringe
  • Approximately 20% of people who have Hep C have the acute type which presents with symptoms like a severe flu but resolves itself within 6 months; the remaining 80% have chronic Hepatitis C which generally has no symptoms and people can have it for 20-30 years without knowing it
  • Approximately 3-5% of HCV infected mothers pass on the virus to their babies
  • Hepatitis A, B and C are completely separate viruses and are only found in humans.  There are vaccines for Hepatitis A and B
  • There is no vaccine for Hepatitis C
  • There are new drugs like Sovaldi and Olysio that can cure Hepatitis C but they are still very expensive and not available to everyone – consult your doctor

Service Dropper Icon made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com
Copyright 2015 HIV Alliance.

Disclaimer mandated by Federal law: This site contains HIV prevention messages that might not be appropriate for all audiences. Since HIV infection is spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages and programs may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information or may be offended by such materials, please exit this website.